It’s no surprise that sauerkraut is good for you. But do you know specifically why? TABElog recently wrote an article about the variety of ways that sauerkraut benefits your health.
This fermented cabbage dish is a favorite sandwich topper, casserole add-in, and grilling must-have. Besides these great food options for enjoying sauerkraut, read about the top nine health benefits of sauerkraut.
- Anti-cancer super food – Sauerkraut contains glucosinolates which have resulted in anti-cancer behaviors.
- High micro and macro nutrients – Vitamin A, C, K and B as well as iron, manganese, copper, and calcium are all present in sauerkraut.
- Energy production – We could all use increased energy, which sauerkraut provides due to the high levels of iron.
- Healthy flora gut and digestive health – Probiotics present in sauerkraut lower the toxins in your gut and can reduce digestive symptoms.
- Glowing skin – Many health experts recommend eating sauerkraut to get better skin due to Vitamin A.
- Ensuring heart health – Sauerkraut is said to reduce cholesterol and prevent cardiovascular diseases.
- Reduction of inflammation - The organic compounds in sauerkraut can act as an anti-inflammatory in joints and muscles.
- Immune system enhancement – Help your body increase immunity with the probiotics found in sauerkraut.
- Strengthen bones – Sauerkraut’s levels of Vitamin K help with bone density and mineralization.
With those top health reasons, it’s hard to think of a reason to NOT eat sauerkraut. So grab a Reuben sandwich, make sausage and sauerkraut soup, or get inspired with these other sauerkraut recipes to incorporate this super food into your diet.
Original article on TABElog 4/21/16. Written by James Tangota.