As spring and summer make their way around, we prep for grilling season. A standard hot dog or brat topping is typically sauerkraut. But beyond that, some people don’t use sauerkraut again all year until next time they are in line at the barbecue looking for the right condiments. Sauerkraut is so much more than that!
Mode recently came up with a list of seven recipes that call for sauerkraut to switch up the way you use this tangy, probiotic ingredient. Read through these recipe ideas and get inspired before it’s time to grill. Add some taste and health benefits to your dishes!
- Polish Sauerkraut Soup with Sausage - Soups are a great way to stay warm in the early spring months. This hearty soup recipe is sure to be a family favorite.
- Reuben Sandwich - The classic Reuben. While this is not a new idea for sauerkraut use, there are ways to brighten up the sandwich. Try flavored kraut like Saverne Dill & Garlic.
- Pierogies - These are not only delicious, but a fun activity to make.
- Other Types of Sandwiches Beyond Reubens - Why should Reubens get all the sauerkraut? This recipe calls for a Brisket Sandwich with a generous amount of sauerkraut.
- Carmelized Sauerkraut with Apples, Prunes, Herbs, and Honey - Dessert with sauerkraut is a great way to get probiotics while still indulging. Don’t knock it until you try it!
- Sauerkraut Stew with Smoked Bacon, Potatoes and Beans - Try a stew that packs big flavors like sauerkraut and bacon.
- Beet Salad with Squash and Sauerkraut - Looking to keep it light? This beet, squash and sauerkraut salad is as delicious as it is colorful.
Give them a try and get inspired to add sauerkraut to more recipes.
Original article posted 4/13/16 on Mode by Benjamin Gorges.